Just unveiled, at the Volkswagen Group Night in Frankfurt, the new Ducati Monster 1200 R. Ducati says it’s the ‘most powerful naked bike ever’ and with a claimed 160 bhp, along with an arm-stretching 97 lbs-ft of torque, they’re right.
This latest machine from the Italian firm is set to make a big impact in the popular Naked Streetbike class.
This new ‘R’ edition to the Monster 1200 range – the first to be seen in the 2016 Ducati line-up – promises a more powerful engine, a sportier chassis and an advanced design and it looks like it won’t disappoint.
Powered by a 1200cc Testastretta 11° DS L-twin, it delivers 10% more peak power at an extra 500 revs and 5.5% more torque than the existing 1200S. Also, thanks to a trim tailpiece along with three-spoke Panigale type wheels and carbon fibre components, the ‘R’ version is also 2kg lighter at 207kg. Even the cast aluminium number-plate hanger has holes designed into it to reduce weight – neat.
New Ohlins suspension has fully-adjustable, 48mm titanium nitride coated forks with a unique black anodised finish on the fork bottoms. The Ohlins rear-shock is also of a higher specification than standard Monsters. Both front and rear units give longer travel to increase the ground clearance.
Featuring the latest full-colour instruments, riding modes, power modes and steering damper, this is top spec, stylish and red-blooded Italian streetbike refuses to be ignored.
However, it’s not for the faint hearted. It’s a bike for experienced riders who not only want a naked bike that gives them a thrilling road ride, but can also perform on track.
Ducati have taken this on board with a set-up and technical features that are in line with the power rating of its ‘R’ twin-cylinder engine. It has a higher stance, with higher footpegs than the 1200 S, for more extreme lean angles – so you can make the most of the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP tyres.
Stopping power is increased too with Brembo M50 four-piston brake calipers up front – the same components as the 1299 Panigale – together with large 330mm twin discs. A 245mm rear disc with twin-piston Brembo caliper evens things up nicely at the back.
The 1200R comes equipped with the Ducati Safety Pack, which includes the latest Bosch ABS brake and Ducati Traction Control systems. These systems work together with three different Riding Modes (Sport, Touring and Urban) to suit different, all-round riding conditions.
There’s no word yet on cost. However, it will come in Ducati Red – naturally – with R livery, Ducati Red frame and Dark Chrome wheels. There’s a “Thrilling Black” option too with R livery, Dark Chrome frame and wheels.
Other features include: exhaust with pentagonal section twin silencers, Sport seat with model ID plate, a new design passenger seat cover and super stylish, Billet machined footpegs.
With this new motorcycle Ducati have well and truly put the ‘R’ into Monster and with the official press launch scheduled for September 29th on track, we just can’t wait.
For more information visit:
- Engine: Testastretta 11° DS, L-Twin cylinders, 4 valve per cylinder, Desmodromic, liquid cooled Displacement: 1.198,4 cc
- Bore X stroke: 106 x 67,9 mm
- Compression: 13,0:1
- Power: 117.7kW (160 hp) @ 9250rpm
- Torque: 131.4Nm (97 lb-ft) @ 7750rpm
- Fuel injection: Synerject-Continental electronic fuel injection system, elliptical throttle body Ø 56 mm equivalent with full Ride-by-Wire
- Exhaust: Lightweight 2-1-2 system with catalytic converter and two lambda probes. Twin aluminium mufflers
- Gearbox: 6 speed Primary drive Straight cut gears; Ratio 1.84:1 Ratio 1=37/15 2=30/17 3=27/20 4=24/22 5=23/24 6=22/25
- Final drive: Chain; Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 41
- Clutch: Wet, multi-plate clutch with hydraulic control. Self-servo action on drive, slipper action on over-run
- Frame: Tubular steel Trellis frame attached to the cylinder head
- Front suspension: Öhlins fully adjustable Ø 48 mm usd forks Front wheel Tri-W spoke forged alloy 3.50? x 17? Front tyre Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP 120/70 ZR17
- Rear Suspension: Progressive linkage with fully adjustable Öhlins monoshock. Aluminium singlesided swingarm
- Rear Wheel: Tri-W spoke forged alloy 6.00? x 17?
- Rear tyre: Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP 200/55 ZR17
- Wheel travel (front/rear): 130/159 mm
- Front brake: 2 x 330 mm semi-floating discs, radially mounted Brembo Monobloc evo M50 4piston callipers, radial pump with ABS as standard
- Rear brake: 245 mm disc, 2-piston calliper, with ABS as standard Instrumentation Full-TFT colour display
- Dry weight: 180kg (396.8lb)
- Kerb weight: 207kg (456.3lb)
- Seat: 830mm (32.7in)
- Wheelbase: 1509mm (59.4 in)
- Rake: 24,3°
- Front wheel trail: 89mm (3,5 in)
- Fuel tank capacity: 17.5L – 4.6 gallon (US) Number of seats 2
- Maintenance: (km/mi/months) 15000/9000/12 Valve clearance adjustment (km/mi) 30000/18000
- Homologation: Euro 4